I am so excited for all the new and exciting things I have planned for this year – advanced swimming activities, exotic travels, learning new languages is all a part of my plan. While a proactive healthy lifestyle is always at the top of my priority list, having fun, setting new goals and milestones gives me a purposeful and rich quality of life.
Our life is a gift and the best way to honor that gift is to care for our minds, bodies, and souls.
I’m taking care of all three during Black History month by finding inspiration from the stunning Black women at the forefront of physical fitness. These brilliant athletic Black women have paved the way for me and others to help you get back your fabulous.
Alice Coachman for example was the first Black woman to ever win an Olympic gold medal. Representing the United States, she won the gold in the High Jump at the London Olympics in 1948.
Following Alice was Wilma Rudolph, the fastest woman in the world who won three gold medals in 1960 following a bronze medal in 1956 in track. Whoaaa…pretty good for a woman who was told by doctors she may never walk again as a child.
It wasn’t long after that greats like Jackie Joyner-Kersee set world records for the heptathlon and high jump, and won three gold, one silver, and two bronze Olympic medals in a matter of a few years.
It’s clear that Jackie paved the way for the incredibly talented athletes that we see today like Allyson Felix, Simon Biles, and Sha’Carri Richardson. As we’ve seen with athletes like Serena Williams, there is still so much left to do.
These are just some of the incredibly talented athletic pioneers who paved the way for others we see today like Allyson Felix, Simon Biles, and Sha’Carri Richardson and Venus and Serena Williams.
Feeling inspired by these fitness legends? I know I am!
They are great examples of how far we can push the human body and also excel in our own fitness regimens. You can read more about them here.
But check this out. There is no reason why you have to be restricted to sitting on the sidelines in awe of these athletes. You can blaze a path of your own. You can be an example for yourself. Start small and grow big!
My 21-day workout program is perfect for taking the first steps toward taking care of your gift of life. It’ll get you started and keep you going whether you are just beginning or advanced. Your health, your body and your energy will improve!
For only $9 a day I’m also giving you nutrition tips and 10 free bonus gifts. That means you get more than 31 training and coaching days with me.
Don’t live with regret. Get down and dirty. We are all living our own personal life shows and the way to make it count is to resist the sidelines, stop watching life pass you by AND become an active participant!
Stick with me and you’ll have fun doing it.
Let’s go! You got this!
Sign up here…for my 21-day workout Challenge! https://wendyida.com/21-day-workout-program/
“Share the gift of life with those who matter most to you.” – Wendy Ida
Can we get a round of applause for making it through another year? Know that you are destined to be more fabulous than ever!!! But…faith without works is dead so there’s no time to rest!
The first thing you want to do in 2023 is…STEP OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE and fully commit to putting your HEALTH first. Yes, it’s time! Understand that without it you have NOTHING and nothing else matters.
So are you ready to turn it up and make this year the best EVER?
To help you make that happen, I’ve created a Brand NEW online 21 day fun workout program.
This program includes…
- 21-day fun progressive workout with moves that include cardio and weight training.
- 5 videos on how to start working out and basic safety training
- 5 circuit training beach workouts.
- 30 Nutrition Tips
31 days total coaching and training
~ The Promise ~
It’ll RESTORE YOUR ENERGY, BURN BODY FAT, FUEL YOUR CONFIDENCE, get you Fit, Fierce & Fabulous and you’ll have so much FUN!
This Pre-launch New Year special is available for $97
Only until Jan 20th.
On Jan 20th it returns to the regular price of $297
For more information or to join in on the fun → CLICK THIS LINK
and you can get started immediately.
Dig DEEP, Dream BIG, push HARD and you’ll achieve more than you ever thought possible.
“Time is one of our most valuable gifts. (Don’t waste it) Live every minute of every day intentionally.”
– Wendy Ida
Ho Ho Ho & Season’s Greetings to you!
I’m wishing you and yours the healthiest of holidays and a fabulous New Year!
Do you know why Santa goes down the chimney? It soots him. I could never do it, I’m too Claus-trophobic. (Lol…just a little something to make you smile 😊)
That’s what I’ll be doing through the end of this year and into the next because I’m always so grateful to witness great endings and beautiful beginnings.
While the holiday hustle and bustle can exhaust and depress us at times (weight gain, work, gifting and lost loved ones) a smile can break out into infectious laughter and change your whole outlook.
Knowing how to take care of yourself and stay on track with your goals, while still enjoying all the holiday cheer can help too.
Here are 10 simple ways to enjoy all the holidays have to offer without getting off track from your fitness goals.
- Stay active by scheduling holiday physical fun like ice skating, skiing, or joining a Santa walk/run.
- Make a list of your favorite holiday treats like eggnog or gingerbread and limit yourself to indulging only in those treats.
- Bake healthier holiday foods with some simple ingredient swaps (I love this list).
- Eat a healthy meal before you head to the holiday party to prevent overindulgence in treats.
- Never drink on an empty stomach because this can increase your appetite.
- Bring a healthy option to any holiday potlucks.
- Manage holiday stress with mindfulness and exercise to prevent emotional eating.
- Enjoy a mint or a piece of gum after you eat, it gives a sense of completion which helps you avoid overeating.
- If you are gifted holiday treats instead of feeling obligated to eat them, donate them to a food pantry.
- It’s all about cultivating the right mindset. If you feel like you are restricted during the holidays, you are more likely to overindulge. However, if you allow yourself whatever you want but you conscientiously choose healthy options, you will thrive.
It’s all about confronting negative mindsets, building resilience, and choosing happiness for yourself.
I’m hoping you’ll have an amazing holiday and don’t worry if you slip up here or there. We’ll just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and get back to taking back our fabulousness!
Sending all my love to you and your family this holiday season.
If you have already gotten my book
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
I’m very proud of this book and it means a lot that I have been able to share my experiences and wisdom with you.
If “UnBreak Me” helped you or gave you an “a-ha” moment, it would mean the world to me if you could share your experience by leaving an Amazon review. The more reviews I have, the more people I can help.
Please use this Amazon link to leave a review —>> https://amzn.to/3EIJ1Nu
“When encountering unexpected changes in life, don’t resist. Find the lessons instead.”
– Wendy Ida
Are you ready to do the turkey trot? Ohhh I am sooo ready! I am counting my blessings right now. Although I count them all year round,Thanksgiving is a time to share it with others. It’s also a time to reflect and express gratitude for our health, abundance and so much more.
At my Thanksgiving dinner table, my family traditionally starts our meal by going around the table and sharing what we are most thankful for in our lives. One of the top things I’ll be sharing is the fact that we are once again reunited and able to break bread at the same table after three years of discombobulation, confusion and deaths.
I’m thankful to have such an incredible support network of friends and family that empower me to live my most authentic self. I don’t know who or where I’d be without them.
I’m thankful to feel fit, fabulous, and full of life. I never could have imagined that I’d be in my prime at 70 years old!
I’m thankful that I have connected with so many beautiful people through my work. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to express how much gratitude I have for you.
I’m thankful that this year I was able to finish my fourth book “Unbreak Me,” where I share my life-changing methods to build resilience, overcome depression and anxiety, and find happiness. I thank YOU for your support and I’m so proud that it quickly became an international bestseller.
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
Sharing thanks and gratitude can make life as sweet as pumpkin pie. My favorite!
Speaking of pumpkin pie, I know we’re all a little stressed about holiday eating. We’ve worked so hard, we don’t want to lose our progress. Don’t worry fam, I got you. Here are some conscious eating tips I use at my Thanksgiving table:
- Sign up for a Turkey Trot. Adding extra physical activity will counteract any overeating.
- Pitch in with the cooking. If you’re cooking you can cut back on unhealthy ingredients like sugar and fat.
- Eat a healthy meal before. Eating beforehand will prevent piling up your plate because you’re too hungry.
- Only pick your favorites. Sticking to your favorite dishes helps you reduce how much you eat without giving up what you love most about the Thanksgiving meal.
- Savor every tasty bite. Eating slowly will ensure you enjoy the food more and prevent overeating.
You got this! If I can do it, so can you!
If you haven’t had a chance to read it yet, the holidays are a really good time to read, learn and share some tools.
Many times, we overeat because of a complicated relationship with our food.
“Unbreak Me” gets to the underlying root of what causes these negative behaviors and feelings of loss of control.
On Amazon now in paperback, kindle and audio.
“When you feel good, you open the door for positive energy to reach you.”
I’m so excited to share this big announcement!
My book “Unbreak Me” has finally hit the shelves in October!!!!!
WAIT! Before you run to grab your copy, I have a gift for you.
Since you are my ride-or-die and have been here from the beginning, I wanted to do something extra special for you to say thank you for all your amazing support!
On November 8, 9, and 10 – 3 DAYS ONLY, I’m offering you a copy of “Unbreak Me” and 7 bonus gifts for just $3.99 kindle and $14.99 for paperback. Also available on audio. (Psst…It’s basically like getting my book for free.)
How do you snag yours?
I’ll be providing a special link to my followers to take advantage of this deal on Nov 8, 9, and 10 through a follow-up newsletter and on my Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
On a side note, I want to get real with you for a second. My book “Unbreak Me” may be the work I am most proud of in my life. Many of the lessons I share in this book I’ve learned the hard way. However, through it all though, I’ve had an incredible support system that helped me grow into the person I love today.
I’m sharing these lessons because I want you to grow into your authenticity and let go of everything that’s holding you back. I want to be that support for you. You deserve the world and I’m always here cheering you on!
I can’t wait for you to read it!
I’ll talk to you soon! Have a FABULOUS day!
P.S. Don’t forget to drink your water today!
So many women write me about how tired they are and they tell me their lack of energy stops them from working out, doing things they enjoy or just being there for their kids or grandkids.
That always takes me back in time to when I was in the same boat and I’m reminded of how I missed out on so much as a result. In those days I thought my always being tired was going to last the rest of my life but I’m proud to say that it didn’t last forever!
I found many little secrets to fix that problem. in fact, my energy made a 360 degree turn simply because I made the choice to make some really important changes in my life.
One of the choices I made was to change how I eat. We all have our favorite foods and I love to focus on food that’s not only healthy and tasty but foods that also give me energy! Never forget that eating nutritious foods is all part of staying fit, fabulous, and active. The energy boost will get you through your whole day and allow you to exercise, run errands, keep up with family projects, build big business and innovative ideas without feeling super tired and weary.
Some of my ultimate fave foods that will contribute to an energetic you are:
1. Avocados – Putting avocados in everything is more than just hype. It is very delicious, and of course, packed with fiber and nutrients that help you sustain your energy levels. Avocados are definitely worth the hype it’s getting.
2. Dried Fruits – What I love about dried fruits is that they are the perfect energy booster! Yes, they can give you that extra push you need to keep moving. Because of that, they are the perfect quick and casual snack for people who are always on the go like me! You can get the energy you need without much preparation.
3. Sweet Potatoes – If you want an instant energy boost, go grab a sweet potato. They contain everything your body needs to produce energy continuously, like iron, Vitamin C, and other nutrients.
4. Spinach – There’s a very good reason why Popeye the Sailor Man eats spinach to power up. It’s because it DOES power you up! After you spend lots of energy exercising or doing other tasks, a serving of spinach will surely get you back on your feet.
5. Oats – I can confidently say that oats are everyone’s all-time favorite. Luckily, it is also an incredible energy booster. It has a lot of nutrients that could produce and keep your energy levels high. The best part is that oats are very versatile and you can enjoy them in almost any way you want!
Add some sesame seeds to your oatmeal and other meals if you can because they are another energy booster. They may be tiny, but they pack a lot of energy! Sesame seeds contain magnesium that helps turn sugars into energy.
If you want more energy to get you through your day without the drag, consider reading my book “UnBreak Me”. I introduce so many of my personal secrets that not only increase your energy but will change your mindset to how much more is possible. I promise…you won’t be disappointed, and you may end up finding some new favorites.
Did you know that many people slow down and become sedentary as they age? That’s right, they sure do and I know what it’s like to start feeling sluggish as the years go by. Well, I’m here to tell you that you can easily avoid that trap. We don’t have to let our age stop us from moving and grooving.
The body is forever changing, shifting and evolving as time rolls on and we have to continually learn what to do for it to keep it in balance and prevent the slow down.
Regardless of age an active lifestyle will give you longevity and allow you to take more control over your health.
Kick it up any way you can because physical activity will boost your energy, allow you to maintain independence, protect your heart, and help you to manage symptoms related to health conditions that cause pain. But there are many other things you can do to stay energized and performing at your best. For example, try the following…
1. Try Mindfulness Techniques
When exercising, many people just zone out. However, focusing on how your body feels as you work out is best. Pay attention to your rhythmic breathing, feel your muscles flex with each movement, and be in the moment. Not only can mindfulness help you physically, but it can also help you mentally. It can help relieve stress and anxiety.
2. Listen to Your Body
Exercising should be a fun activity and not something you dread doing. Always listen to what your body is telling you. If you become dizzy or short of breath, stop your workout routine. If you sustain any injuries while working out or experience regular pain and discomfort, start out more slowly and work yourself up to more frequent workouts after discussing all this with your doctor.
3. Support Your Activity Levels With Good Nutrition
Keeping fit and energetic doesn’t stop at just physical activity. You also have to support your new activity levels with the right nutrition. Reduce the amount of processed carbohydrates you consume and choose better snacking options throughout the day. Instead of reaching for a bag of chips, grab some nuts or seeds to snack on instead.
4. Stay Motivated
To stop yourself from becoming discouraged, focus on short-term goals and reward yourself when you complete your workout successfully. This is good both physically and mentally. When rewarding yourself, choose something you look forward to doing.
5. Get Plenty of Rest
Finally, one of the biggest tips I have for you is to be sure to get enough rest. Something as simple as sleep can give you the energy boost you need. Try to get seven to eight hours of sleep each night to repair and build muscles and allow your body the chance to recover and boost stored energy.
For more tips on how to keep up with your active lifestyle? Check out my YouTube videos and subscribe to my channel.
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by what society says is right or wrong, but I’ve learned that I shouldn’t focus on what society thinks of me!
In Unbreak Me, I share how I decided to focus on my own feelings, my own thoughts, and my own happiness. Breaking away from norms is tough, but I’ll tell you how you can do it, too.
It’s time for your life to change, and I’m sharing my secrets with you to make it happen.
Finally, it’s available to preorder. Click here to order now!
My Fav Quote This Month –
“Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
I’m concerned so I just gotta ask…Are you nurturing your whole self these days?
It’s never a bad thing to focus on making our bodies strong and healthy, but what’s important is that we never forget to take care of our mental health too! We can nurture our whole selves and embrace who we truly are if we can balance our mental and physical health. After all, loving ourselves starts with us.
I know that life has many exciting things and challenges in store for us, but when we nurture our mind and body, we can accomplish anything. What I do to balance my mental and physical health is to work out regularly, eat nutritious food, and give myself enough rest. More importantly, I remind myself why mental and physical health are both important so I will stay inspired and motivated.
Here are some critical reasons why you, too, should focus on your mental and physical health.
- So You Can Focus Better – Others say that when we age, it gets hard to focus on simple tasks. We may be adding numbers to our years, but the real secret to maintaining our focus on things is by having a healthy mind and body. These two are connected and the healthy things we do to keep our bodies healthy also nurture our minds. For example, exercising makes us also mentally stronger because it helps us shake off stress. When we’re not stressed, we can think clearer and focus better. Don’t let your age make you think that you are becoming a slow thinker.
- Fight The Stress Away – When we have a healthy mind and body, we can better deal with stress. We are not easily shaken when something challenging and unexpected comes our way. Being mentally and physically strong lets us keep a positive mindset that will help us overcome anything.
- Do Things Your Own Way – Don’t let anyone stop you from achieving what you want. With a strong physical body, you will feel lighter and more confident that you can do anything. Strong mental health will help you stay motivated, passionate, and prepared for any challenge. You will develop a deeper trust in yourself and realize you are unstoppable!
- Love Yourself With All Your Heart – The most important thing about having balanced mental and physical health is that we learn to really love everything about ourselves. Negative thoughts have no chance of destroying all our hard work because we know how to fight stress, we are confident, and we can achieve anything.
Take in each day, and each moment you experience to energize your soul and keep your balance to maintain your mental health. Connect with yourself on a deeper level. What matters to you the most? Everything in our lives is connected, and to maintain health and happiness, we must take care of each facet of our lives.
Do what you are good at and what you are passionate about. Do what brings you joy and you will find yourself on the path to a happier life.
Once you find the right balance, it must be maintained. Use targeted exercises that can help your health physically while also allowing you to stay strong mentally and maintain brain health.
Finding the right balance for our wellness will lead to more satisfaction in life and greater well-being.
When adversity knocks you side ways…knowing what to do & actually doing it are two different things.
In my newest book “Unbreak Me,” I’m revealing the secrets that will help you get up, push back and bridge the difference – Pulling directly from my personal experience & the latest Psychological research. It’s some of my best work and I’m excited to help guide you on some of your toughest life journeys.
Finally, it’s available to preorder. Click here to order now!
My Fav Quote This Month –
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” – John Rohn
Are you glowing? I’m talking about your skin. People always ask me about skin care. In particular they ask what I do to care for my own skin. I like to focus on the basics.
What we show on the outside with our skin is often a reflection of what’s going on inside our bodies. A poor diet will show in your skin, dehydration will show in your skin, tiredness will show in your skin – you get the idea!
Our skin is very expressive and can actually show how happy and healthy we are with the way it glows! I know that we love our skincare routine. However, all of that effort can go to waste because some habits we do are actually bad for our skin! Things like forgetting to wash our face, extreme exposure to the harsh sun, and sleeping late can chase our radiance away.
Some sure fire ways to keep that healthy glow so you look as good on the outside as you feel on the inside are:
- Eat A Healthy Diet – What we intake is a huge factor in making our skin bright and glowing. Refrain from eating unhealthy foods and stick more to your fruits and veggies. The vitamins and minerals that our body absorbs from healthy meals help repair our cells faster so our skin looks youthful, no matter how old we are.
- Drink Plenty Of Water – It is very important to keep yourself hydrated. I know that there are many tasty drinks out there but keep in mind that water is still the best. Drinking plenty of water is not only good for our health, but it also keeps our skin from drying out and flaking.
- Get Enough Sleep – Always grab them chance to get your beauty sleep because there’s a reason it’s called that! Getting enough sleep gives our skin time to repair itself after enduring a whole day’s exposure to the sun, air, dust, and other things that might’ve damaged it.
- Don’t Forget To Wash – After a long day, taking a shower and cleansing your skin is very important. Whether you’ve been busy running around the streets or after you’re done exercising, cleaning your skin will help get rid of dust and dirt that clung to it during the day.
- Work That Sweat – The next time you finish exercising, take the time to notice how your skin looks alive and glowing. When we work out, our movements enhance our blood circulation and help release the toxins in our bodies. The result? A healthy and glowing skin!
Let’s enjoy beautiful and glowing skin with every move and groove.
Join me here and let’s have fun working out together as we take back our fab!
Over the years you’ve asked me how do I do it? How do I find the resiliency to get through bad times, the strength to push forward to my goals, and the courage to take my fabulous back?
I’ve answered all of these questions and more in my new book.
If you’re looking for the secret to changing your life, click here to preorder your copy today!
My Fav Quote This Month –
“Self-care is giving the world the best of you, instead of what’s left of you.” – Katie Reed
I can’t believe another wonderful year has passed and it’s my birthday again! I could not be more excited! I’m inviting you to get down and party with me all May long and do I ever have some incredible stuff in store for you!
May 2022 is a big year for me so we are going to make things more exciting because I believe that double the celebration is double the fun! As part of my birthday bash, you are invited to join me in a 20-day 70s workout challenge where you can win lots of prizes.
Here’s how you can join.
Celebrate The 70s Workout Challenge
- Click here to register → wendyida.com/challenge
You’ll also find more information on how you can join and win!
Once you are registered you will be emailed a link to join a special Facebook group that I created, where you can participate in this challenge. All it takes is 20 minutes each day for 20 days. This could be your lunch break, your late afternoon pick-me-up, your evening downtime, or ANY time you’d like! You can do your 20 minutes in the morning one day, the evening the next, and lunchtime the day after that – Whenever you want!
- Engage – I’ll be there hanging out, answering your questions, and celebrating with you! You will interact with everyone in the challenge, hype each other up, and share your feelings on that day’s workout challenge. Commenting about your experience each day will be counted as an entry into the Birthday Giveaway held at the end of the challenge for a chance to win special prizes!
- Win Special Prizes – Yes, everybody has a chance to win special prizes just by engaging! It’s simple, easy, fast, and very doable anytime and anywhere. Seize this opportunity to win my new book, t-shirts, workout videos, online training programs and a 30-minute private consultation with me.
- Party Time – Of course, a birthday is not complete without a party and some good old-fashioned birthday FUN! ! Join me in my fun-filled workouts and let’s party together! You can even upload your own workout in the comments and share the fun with others. It’s a party with lots to win and only body fat to lose.
I am super thrilled to celebrate my birthday again with you! Don’t forget to share your experience to win a prize in the grand celebration giveaway!
What’s your day been like or what are you manifesting it to be? In spite of the world going through its hills and valleys, I strive to stay up on the hill. I hope you are doing the same. That takes constant reinforcement of positive vibes and mental balance, but it’s possible.
As I speak I’m literally pumping myself up again because of my cousin’s funeral I just attended.
When I tell you that I’m sick of what’s been going on in the world, I am. But, finding the right balance between my mental, physical and spiritual health is what keeps me active and going strong every day!
Think about it. You’re not made up of one single part. You are your mind, your body, and your spirit, and when you nourish all three, you’re breaking free to reveal your BEST self!
If you look in the mirror and feel dissatisfied with what you see, try putting in the work to change that. If you’re hitting plateaus, losing motivation or you feel like you’re not getting anywhere, you’re probably forgetting the mental part of that FULL self-transformation! For lasting results and to be the best, you that you can be, nurturing your mind is a must.
The mind and the body must keep a close connection. Poor mental health can lead to high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, digestive problems, trouble sleeping, and so much more. The worst part? It can be challenging to notice when your mental health is being neglected before the physical signs start to show. Check-in with your mind just like you’d check in with your body to make sure you’re giving it the TLC it deserves. A few tricks that I love for nurturing mental health are:
- Meditation – Meditation is like a mental health check-in and pampering all at once. It’s like giving your mind a trip to the spa! Take a few moments every day and close your eyes, breathe deep, and simply live in the moment. Let yourself feel whatever it is you’re feeling, and let the thoughts come into and out of your mind naturally. You’ll get to know yourself better than you ever thought possible!
- Journal – Sometimes you just need to get those feelings out in order to best process whatever it is you might be thinking or going through. Journaling lets you express, observe, and process all at once. You’ll feel lighter and more confident in your decisions and your feelings!
- Explore – Curiosity is GOOD for you and sometimes our minds need a workout just like our bodies! Explore the outdoors, read something informative, or just sit back and ponder the many questions of the universe. Stay curious to keep an active, healthy, and robust mind.
Without nurturing your mental health you’ll find it much harder to really get the results you’re looking for when it comes to your physical health. A full transformation is just that – FULL – so never forget to nurture and nourish this important part of YOU!
Feeling broken never means you ARE broken.
I wrote this book to share for the first time how I regained my courage to become my best self and I’m hoping that you can learn from my mistakes.
Get notified when Unbreak Me is released on Audible, Kindle, and paperback.
Unbreak Me! —->>> https://wendyida.com/unbreak-me
My Fav Quote This Month –
“I was thinking, if I cheated on my fears, broke up with my doubts, got engaged to my faith, I can marry my dreams.” – Beyonce
What’s going on? Hope you’re safe, well, and taking good care of that body of yours. That’s what I’m doing. It’s still early in the new year which means you can make a great impact if you’re mindful about it now…and you’ll be in a better place by the time summer rolls around. I’ve been on the warpath myself. In fact, I gotta tell ya I’ve been killin’ it on my Peloton bike! (WendyWarrior is my handle if you want to connect/follow me there.
When it comes to caring for our bodies, I believe in taking a holistic approach to our fitness. That means thinking about all the qualities like flexibility, strength, and endurance that create our healthiest bodies. Cultivating these qualities will help you feel fit and fabulous no matter what activity you are doing next.
Work Strength Into Your Cardio For Better Endurance And Stamina
Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been having fun with your workouts already, building endurance should be part of the program.
When you think about endurance you probably think of cardio, cardio, cardio! Cardio for endurance and stamina is great…but do you know what makes it even better? Bringing a little strength training into the mix! You heard that right – during those cardio days, don’t drop the weights completely and let them sit collecting dust.
In order to feel fit and strong, we need to incorporate a variety of exercises that support our whole body health.
Why Is Physical Endurance So Important?
There’s science behind the idea of incorporating strength training into your cardio for better stamina and endurance.
Physical endurance is one of those things that builds exponentially over time. The more endurance you have, the longer you can work out (and perform everyday functional activities). The more you can work out, the more you can build your endurance.
There are two primary types of endurance to think about when planning your workout. The first is muscular endurance, which is really just your muscles’ ability to perform. The second type is cardiovascular endurance which is a measure of your overall ability to endure a sustained physical task. Thus adding strength training to your cardio can help you develop both types of endurance.
At the core of your strength training is building lean muscle mass throughout the body, and it’s this lean muscle mass that can give your endurance a real boost. With lean muscle, your body has places to send the blood as you get your heart pumping during a great cardio session. This results in lower pressure in the arteries, and lower pressure in the arteries helps you to keep from feeling exhausted while your heart does its work.
Working strength training into your cardio, however, doesn’t have to be some kind of all-or-nothing thing! Take it slow and be consistent so you’re more likely to build up lasting stamina over time.
Simple Strategies To Get You On Track
Think about your regular daily workout routine. Are there any opportunities to add some strength training? For example, wear wrist weights during a swim or if you take daily walks, bring some arm weights with you. That way while you are walking you can also do some simple upper body strength training. Another great example is if you do yoga you can hold your poses longer or try power yoga.
What you’ll find is that what was once a challenge feels easy and as you increase the level of your weights you’ll get stronger and have more endurance.
Now if your cardio of choice is dance, you know I approve!
My YouTube videos and Fountain of You videos have plenty of dance-based cardio exercises you can use to easily incorporate some lightweight training work as you build your endurance to dazzling new heights.