Pregnancy is a sensitive issues when it comes to women and fitness. Weight conscious women tend to become even more conscious when they experience their body change. Not wanting to gain weight, they start working out — and sometimes without even consulting their doctor. Not consulting your physician and exercising during pregnancy can do more harm than good. So if you or someone you care about is thinking of implementing a work out routine during pregnancy, it is highly advised to consult your doctor to avoid any complications during pregnancy. Below are a few activities a woman should avoid during pregnancy.
- Exercises that involve lying or standing for a long time: After the first trimester, exercises such as sit-ups which involve lying on the back for a longtime should cease. Also activities that involve standing motionless should be discontinued until after the pregnancy. These activities decrease the flow of blood to uterus and also drop your heart rate.
- Exercises that impact breathing: Women, who are used to lifting light weights previously, can continue during pregnancy. But heavy lifting is prohibited. This type of strain disrupts breathing and irregularity in breathing directly affects the oxygen supply to your baby. Similarly, scuba diving is probably not a good idea either.
- Exercise with a risk of falling: Women who have been working out regularly before pregnancy, should re-consider their exercise routine. All activities that have a risk of falling down should be avoided. For instance, biking, skiing and horseback riding should be strictly avoided because of the high risk.
- Activities which can cause Trauma: Activities with flying objects or sports with the possibility of blunt contact are not for pregnant women. It is definitely better to be a distant and shielded spectator during these events. One can never be too cautious in situations that risk accidental impact on the abdominal area. So ladies let me say this loud and clear – “No more roller derby for you for a while!”
- Avoid exercise in hot climate: Heat and humidity can cause Mommy to overheat. Your rising body temperature is dangerous for the baby. Ask your doctor but he/she should tell you the limits on your heart rate range during pregnancy. Each woman is different.
- High Altitudes: Exercising at high altitudes above 6000ft during pregnancy is not advised because it reduces the oxygen flow to your baby.
- High impact Movement: Activities that involve bouncing, jerking and twisting should be avoided. A pregnant woman’s joints naturally loosen up as her body prepares for child birth. These activities could cause the joints to strain, making them more prone to injury.
Once again, it is strictly advised that you consult your physician before committing to any kind of exercise during your pregnancy. The effects vary from female to female, an exercise which one could do with ease, can prove to be harmful for another. You and your baby’s reactions are connected to factors such as physique, genetics, and medical history of the female. So relax ladies! Your doctor will let you know what type of gain is normal and tell you some exercises that are healthy for you during this process. Congratulations to all the New Mommies and babies!